Thursday, November 6, 2008

A slice of Humbe Pie

I think Heavenly Father knows when you need a little humbling. Or something. It seems that I needed some a couple of days ago. It was quite the day. Hannah was in a classroom play at school. I packed up Bekah, Caleb, and Emma and took them with me to watch it. I wasn't really concerned about doing this, as I have been hauling three preschoolers places with me ever since Lizzie was a baby. I think that generally they are well behaved, and I can congratulate myself on my superior parenting techniques while frowing at all the other unruly children:)

Well, this time it was a disaster. There were all kinds of parents there, with their preschoolers in tow. They sat nicely and watched the show without any problem. MY kids, however, were absolute terrors. Bekah was soooo fussy (the yet to be discovered ear infection). I was trying desperatly to keep her from screaming, but Caleb and Emma were just not helping out. Tubby had not had a nap (the show was right in the middle of nap time) so I am trying to reason his behavior out that way, hehe. He just has a VERY loud voice. He kept making noisy comments or something and all the third graders would turn to look at him and giggle. He was busy, busy, busy. Not naughty as much as too noisy and into all the interesting things you can find in a 3rd grade classroom. Emma, however, was the worst. Probably just because I felt like she should know better. She was simply ignoring everything I said. If I told her to sit, she would stand. If I asked her to give a toy to Caleb, she would whine and cry. She would cry for me to hold her so she could see (she could ALREADY see just fine) or take things away from Bekah or anything else she could think of. She took her shoes off and threw them out in the hallway. At one point, I tried making her sit outside by herself, but the Vice Principal was there and I felt a little awkward. Another nice mother was trying to help distract her, but I'm sure those of you who know Emma can imagine how well she responded to a total stranger.

I was so relieved when it was finally over (and trying to not totally lose my cool right there in front of all the other mothers congratulating themselves on their superior parenting techinques and frowing their disapproval of my unruly children, hehe). Unfortunately, Hannah had such enthusiastic bowing (lol) that she hit her head and thus ensued a whole other drama. The teacher was the one comforting her because I honestly didn't know what to do with my other "naughty" children. Finally, I left them in the hall and was able to give her a hug. I took the kids to the office to pay for Hannah's school lunches and Emma managed to drop my camera on Bekah's head and from that point on, Bekah didn't stop screaming. She pretty much screamed until Joe got home at 5 that night.

I then took the kids to the car, belted them in to wait for school to get out (we had just 20 minutes until it was over and it was pointless for us to go home) and stood outside in an attempt to dim the shrieking and called Joe to vent.

Some days I'm sure that there was a mix up at the hospital and my real, well-behaved children are out there somewhere. :)

My only real shot of the play. Hannah was Cleopatra
That night at dinner, Caleb furthered my point by showing me how much he hates his peas. Blah! (his way of saying he hates it)
He then took his finger and smashed every single pea into his plate

2 comments:

The Norton Fam! said...

Oh man, that sounds lovely (sarcastic). I'm so sorry. Don't you just wish at times like these there are two or more of you so you're able to give each child your undivided attention. But then, it would just figure they would want the "first" mommy, not the "second" or "third" etc. It just goes to show that kids really do have minds of their own and sometimes they seem really determined to use them.

Unknown said...

Oh, I feel so much better!!! (like, "normal" instead of "freakish" ;-)... Kiddo has been throwing absolute HISSYFITS everywhere we've gone the last two days. And bossing me around. And we have had to go three different places. And he keeps doing slightly different things, so the "if you do X one more time..." threats just sound like I'm a non-threat-enforcing parent. SO mortifying.

There must be something in the air lately... because when your normally-well-behaved kids and my normally-well-behaved kid are all acting up, I want to find SOMETHING to blame it on! ;-)