Okay, I've been planning on posting about my experience singing in the choir for the General Relief Society meeting for awhile now. Since tomorrow is the meeting, and since I am FINALLY caught up on homework (just in time for two big tests next week), I am going to take a minute to write down some of my feelings and thoughts on the time I've had. Interestingly, this is an official calling. It came from the bishop. Direction from the General R.S. presidency on whom to call was also interesting. They said that they are not looking for the best singers in the wards, but those that the bishop felt through the spirit needed the calling. Some of the usual "best" singers in our ward were not called to be in the choir, and, in fact, a couple of the women in my ward who were called have very little choir experience. We figure that whomever the Lord calls, He qualifies. :)
It has been amazing. It has truly has been so much MORE than I ever expected. I think I went into it more as a "choir member" and have come out as a more dedicated disciple of my Savior. Honestly, the singing is so secondary. Every week has been a spiritual feast. Members of the General Relief Society Presidency and their board have spoken every week. We also have different stake presidents speak each week. We have three or four short talks each week before we even start singing. For me, it has been a much needed time away from children to just feast at the words of our leaders (without all the distractions that are usually there in my life). I wish it could go on forever.
The choir director is a wonderful, spiritual, astounding person. She is hilarious, constantly keeping us laughing. She is also a spiritual giant. Her insights have touched and inspired me. The spirit has been with her throughout this process and I have truly come to love her.
I've been astonished at how much work and prayer and thought goes into every little detail of the conference. The music is NOT translated into the other languages, so the hymns for the session must be hymns that are in every hymnbook in the world (that way, hopefully, the sisters will know the words in their own languages and be able to understand what we are singing). We were told that some of those hymnbooks have very few songs, so our choices are pretty limited. In addition, Sister Beck told us one night that she has been very concerned with the suffering of the sisters across the world. Many of our sisters in the gospel around the world have very, very little. They lead extremely difficult lives. She felt inspired to choose REJOICING hymns, to remind these sweet, valiant sisters of the joy of the gospel.
Some of the things I've learned:
1. The importance of obedience. Small things make a big difference.
2. Everything that I do or say can either take away from those around me, or add to it. What kind of fruit am I dropping by my actions and expressions with my loved ones and strangers alike?
3. Heavenly Father loves me and He knows what I need.
Finally, I just wanted to say that tomorrow we are not going to be the best choir you have ever heard. Trust me, Aunt Ruth, we are no Mo-Tab!! Instead of listening for perfect sound, look for the testimonies being borne by the sisters in the choir. We will be singing of our Savior and the joy that He brings. We are not perfect, we are not saints, and we are not professional musicians, but for one night, music will be the language in which we testify.
Okay...stats:
The meeting is tomorrow (Saturday) at 6pm. It will be broadcast at stake centers and on BYUtv (if you have satellite or cable). It will also be streamed live on the Internet from www.lds.org or from the byu site, I believe.
I will be sitting in the center section on the right hand side. I am on the third row from the bottom on the aisle. I will be the really adorable one in a white blouse, black skirt and flower corsage (hehe).
5 comments:
What a wonderful experience! Thanks for sharing it with us, it definitely made a difference for me as I watched the choir tonight. I did see sisters bearing their testimony through song, and I felt my own testimony strengthened.
And, yes, we did see you - although the closest it got was from behind you. Fun!
What a neat opportunity!!! I didn't realize how it had been organized - how cool, and what a testament to obedience!
FWIW, the music was GORGEOUS. And there's been so much ugliness in the world and uncertainty in my mind lately, that I very much needed the refreshing reminder! :-)
I sure love Sister Beck. All of the presidency, of course, too! I really appreciated everything about the broadcast :-).
Thank you for sharing your experience and your testimony! :-)
The choir sounded beautiful, Lori! I'm so glad you had the opportunity to participate! I just had to tell you that the choir director, Merrilee Webb, is my cousin! I read what you wrote about her before the meeting, and I had the feeling that it must be Merrilee that you were talking about just from what you said about her. She really is amazing! I remember years ago I was staying with her and her family in California for a few days . . . I think Merrilee was still in high school . . . and I went to ward choir practice with her. Merrilee was the ward choir director, but she didn't have an accompanist that day, so she accompanied them on the piano while she led the choir with her head! Of course, that was years ago, and she has accomplished so much since then. She often leads the choirs for the general RS and YW meetings, and it's so much fun to watch her! By the way, we looked and looked for you, but never could see you!!
Thanks ladies! I had such a great time. Sorry I wasn't more of a movie star, lol. It know it was tricky to spot me. :)
Julie! That is so funny that she is your cousin! I wish I had known and I would have told her that you were my aunt. She is such a wonderful person. She must get it from your side of the family. :)
Love you guys!!
Lori
It was a great broadcast! Isn't it so nice to just take a little time, just for women and have instruction just for us! And yes Lori, you were adorable and you'll always be a movie star/professional singer in my book. :)
Post a Comment