Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple


For last week's field trip, we went to visit the Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple. I was very surprised that it made it on the list of free activities (although I think both Rachel and I voted for it so that probably helped push it over the top). As we were driving there, my kids were complaining about how boring it was going to be. Hannah in particular insisted that she knew EVERYTHING about Indians already. I informed her that this was Indian, meaning from INDIA, not Native American, haha, but she still thought she knew everything about them (cue eye roll). Anyway, we all made a goal to learn one new fact and went on our way.

As we approached our destination and the building rose up in front of us, I think some of the kid's mouths dropped open. It is a pretty crazy sight to see this very Taj Mahal type building right here in Utah, haha. We went on a nice tour of the building and the kids actually really enjoyed the whole thing. They have animals that you can visit on the property after you visit inside the temple as well. The only complaint from the kids was that they were (lightly) burning incense or something and it stung their eyes. I loved the tour. I like learning about other cultures/religions/countries a lot so for me it was awesome!

After we got there, the kids were getting a little rowdy so I called them to come to the bottom of the stairs so we could review our rules about respect (that we had JUST discussed in the car!). This was their response, haha. Ammon and Lizzie stopped and all my other kids (and kids that don't belong to me, hehe) ran off

Cute, cute kids...notice how much taller Ammon is than all the rest of the bunch. When he went to get his physical last week (actually straight from this field trip) the doctor said he thinks Ammo is going to be tall (based on his shoe size...an 8/9 these days!)

Beautiful hand painted chairs

Bekars with her "angry eyes"

These statues each represent...something. I can't quite remember. Seems like I was reigning in some kids while the tour guide was explaining.

When Joe first saw this picture, he asked if that guy was real (and the answer is no). Today when I was looking over the pictures, I laughed thinking how terrible it would have been if he WAS real and I told the kids to go sit by him so I could take a picture while he was meditating. LOL

These ceilings were carved out of marble.

The kids loved the elephants "guarding" the stairway

Some lucky lady will someday snatch this guy up in a heartbeat. :)

The temple had AMAZING 360 degree views

They had llamas (and cows and sheep and other animals) out back. One question Hannah asked our tour guide was, "What is the word for llama in Indian?" The tour guide explained that there isn't a word for llama in Indian because llamas are not native to India. We're not exactly sure why they keep some on their property, haha.

They had a cool koi pond

The fish in the pond FLOCKED to us. They were almost jumping out the side. I'm guessing they're used to people feeding them? I think I've finally found a place where Joe and Derek may be able to finally catch a fish, haha.

Beautiful building with a horse trailer next to it, haha. Good thing Ammon is so handsome...he saves the picture. :)

1 comment:

Denise said...

OK, you have to let me know where that is. I have to check it out. What a fun visit. Email me with the info. denisepjorgensen@comcast.net