Saturday, August 23, 2008

And Mom and Dad can hardly wait for school to start again

Yep, that's right! School has officially begun (just in case you missed all the blaring Back to School sales and signs all over town). The kids have finished the first week of school and everything seems to be going well. We are back to waking up early and being a little more crazed in the afternoons with homework, lunches, getting clothes out and so on. It has been very quiet having Ammon, Hannah, and Lizzie gone all day. Funny how having only three little ones at home can really cut the noise *grin*. Here are some summaries of each kid's week...
Ammon (10) is a sixth grader
Ammon:
As you all know, of all my children I was the most nervous about Ammon starting middle school. As always, I was worried for nothing. He has loved middle school and hasn't had any problems. He quickly made some new friends at his new school and is enjoying hanging out with them. He especially loves his Chinese class. It is taught completely in Chinese. They are only allowed to speak in English for the last five minutes in order to ask questions. At the Back to School night, his Chinese teacher told us that Ammon has caught on to the language very quickly and is already able to engage in conversation with him after only one week. I am thrilled to see him so excited about learning new things. He and I went to pick up his cello today and he was so happy. He even said, "You know, Mom, wearing uniforms isn't as bad as I thought it would be." Now THAT is progress. :)

Silly Hannah (8) entered 3rd grade

Hannah:

Hannah was very happy to have her best friend, Baylee, and the boy she "loves" in her class again this year. She has her priorities straight. :) She came home sick the first day of school, but has been fine ever since. She has two teachers sharing the 3rd grade this year, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. A couple of days before school started, she lost her glasses (again) so she has been blind thus far. Her teachers told us at back to school night that they moved her desk to the front of the room and we are waiting for her new specs. They also said that she is very "enthusiastic" (shocker) and asks many, MANY question. Typical Hannah stuff.

Sweet little Lizzie (6) is in 1st grade this year

Lizzie: To the surprise of both Lizzie and I, Hannah's friend Baylee has a 1st grade sister. After the first day of school, Lizzie came home and announced that Baylee's sister is in her class. Apparently Avery (the sister) had followed her around everywhere and was trying to become her new BFF (yes, that is actually how Lizzie described it...BFF... weird I know). She enjoys making her lunch and staying all day. She did mention that sometimes in the afternoon she just starts to miss me so much that it hurts. How sweet is that? Her teacher said that she is very well behaved and easy to get along with. Another shocker, eh?

How did Emma (4) get so big? She looks like a school kid in this picture! Emma:

Emma Suzanne started preschool this year! She has been so excited to go. She asks every day if she can go back. Her only disappointment was that she didn't get to pack a lunch like her older siblings do. She is really growing up. The only time I came close to crying this year was when I after I left her at school. She is becoming so independant and I just miss my baby!!! It is strange being home with just Caleb and Bekah. Very strange.

I couldn't resist taking this one last picture of Emma at preschool


I love my kids! Here's to a FANTASTIC year!!!

3 comments:

The Norton Fam! said...

Yay! I'm so glad they're doing so well and fitting in. That makes for a wonderful start to the school year. And I can't belive that Ammon gets to play the cello. Lucky. He'll have to start giving me lessons.

Jenny Bay said...

Aww, your kids are so cute!

Unknown said...

Chinese?!?! In middle school?!?!?! Color me jealous!!! ;-) And it's so good to see how your beautiful (fun, talented, hilarious, wonderful) family is doing, too - good luck balancing everything (although I don't think you need luck for that! ;-) What fun! You're doing great at finding time to blog, with all that stuff going on, too!!! :-)